visit@gorskikotar.hr

Centar za posjetitelje Gorski kotar

ETHNOGRAPHIC COLLECTIONS

“Lič” Ethnographic Collection

When brothers Nenad and Dražen Starčević initiated the establishment of the Ethnographic Collection in 1994, marking the 150th anniversary of organized education in Lič, few expected the collection to grow from the initial gathering of exhibits to an ethnographic museum, unique in the Fužine municipality and one of the few in Gorski kotar.

The Ethnographic Collection became a recorded cultural monument as early as 1995, on which occasion 63 different objects were listed as display exhibits. Over the years, new and interesting objects from the past have been collected, and many inhabitants from across the municipality as well as occasional visitors, began donating valuable old objects on their own initiative.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

House Rački

Racki house is a protected architectural and ethnic heritage site. Its appearance can give us an insight about household activities, and building preferences of that period. It has been estimated that the house is approximately 200 – 300 years old. During the reconstruction period authenticity was preserved as much as possible.
House was built to protect from long snowy winters, roof was made of wood and covered with shingles, hay was kept in the attic providing excellent thermal isolation. Racki house is the oldest house located at Delnice town center. Before reconstruction, long corridor (non-existent now days) were connecting all the rooms in the house with the loft. Floors were made of soil, central open fireplace was the focus point of the house where all social, family and work communications would happen. Toilet was in the barn out of the main house. Second most important area was the loft, where family would keep dry food, smoked/dry the meat, and store hay for domesticated animals which were located at the barn.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

Croatian History Museum - Ivan Goran Kovačić Memorial Museum

The birth house of Ivan Goran Kovačić (1913 - 1943), a prominent Croatian poet, writer, journalist and anti-fascist fighter, hosts a permanent display reflecting his life and work.

The three-storey stone house of civil design was built by the poet's grandfather in 1905.

The permanent display of the Museum is divided into five thematic units. The “Goran and Lukovdol” unit is a reconstruction of the ambience of Goran's room and objects related to his schooling. The central room with the reconstruction of the poet's workspace and personal library is dedicated to the unit “Goran, the Writer and Journalist”. This is followed with an account of Goran's life among the partisans, his most famous work “Jama” (The Pit) and the poet's unsolved murder. “Goran's Homeland” is the name of the unit dedicated to the history and culture of Gorski kotar, especially Lukovdol, which was Kovačić's “everlasting love” and literary inspiration. The “Goran's Spring” unit is represented by photographs and documents from the poetry event of the same name that has been held in Lukovdol since 1964, and a selection of books - editions of the writer’s works from 1945 to 2003.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

Kolarnica, a Collection of Traditional Crafts

Kolarnica is located just before the centre of the municipality of Brod Moravice on the left. In the renovated wainwright’s workshop, where carts were once made by wainwright Jure and his son Franjo, there is a collection of traditional crafts of the Brod Moravice region. Meet the barber, carpenter, tailor and shoemaker. Learn about their work, tools and life.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

Delač House

The Delač House, according to tradition, dates back to 1644 and is therefore the oldest preserved house in Gorski kotar. It is located in the settlement of Delači near the municipality of Brod Moravice, and is identified as an individual immovable cultural good in the Register of Cultural Goods of the Republic of Croatia. The Delač House is a single-story house with a gabled façade oriented towards the street and a three-part room layout. It has a gable roof covered with shingles, and its protruding eaves on the west façade have massive beams supporting the canopy, as a characteristic motif of Gorski kotar architecture. On the wooden part of the house, you can see the traditional Croatian construction method characterized by uncut ends of hewn beams coming out of the corners. Although the floor plan indicates a three-part organization of the home, a deeper analysis suggests its original two-part layout, which consisted of a wooden house on a stone foundation and a stone porch with a fireplace in the middle.

You can enter the Delač House in two ways - through the main entrance at the west façade, which consists of a wooden impenetrable door with a heavy lock, and through the side entrance on the north side of the house, which also leads to the central room of the house through the hallway.

It contains valuable ethnographic and ethnological objects.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

“Vilko Golubić” Memorial Classroom

The classroom is located in the building of the former primary school in the centre of Brod Moravice.

To mark 200 years of schooling in Brod Moravice, we opened a classroom in memory of the long-time distinguished teacher of the Brod Moravice school, Vilko Golubić, born on 11 April 1861 in Karlovac, who died on 16 February 1935 and was buried at the Mirogoj Cemetery. Schooling in Brod Moravice dates back to 1818, when the parish priest Antun Kauzlarić started to teach. For six years he gathered the children in today's rectory and taught them to read, write and pray for free. The first school was located in Podstene in 1858, and classes were held by the parish administrator Božo Pleše. In 1902, a school was opened in Male Drage. In 1869, a school building was built in Brod Moravice. Also worth mention are the regional schools in Šimatovo and Goršeti.
The classroom contains valuable exhibits from different periods of schooling, from books, notebooks with calligraphy, school newspapers, writing boards, pens, quills and school bags, to school equipment such as rulers, maps and globe.

Revisit the most beautiful time of your life.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

“Plavi podrum” Buffet Ethnographic Collection

The collection is located on the ground floor of the House of Culture in the town centre.

It takes everyone back to the days of youth and joy. And nobody is indifferent to it. There is a bar, a waiter and drinks from the '50s and '60s of the last century. You will also find tables, tablecloths, glasses, cigarettes, newspapers, and even singles of that time.

A soulful local bar. Remember the tastes, songs and love.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

Turanj, Zrinski Tower

The Ottoman attack in the 16th century forced the feudal lords, i.e. Count Juraj IV Zrinski, to build a defensive tower - an observation post - Turinj in Moravice, today's Brod Moravice. When the tower was being built, around the year of 1590, there were approximately 50 inhabitants in 5 houses in Moravice.

In its original form, the tower had four floors with loopholes and wooden escalators, observation lodges (openings) located on the highest floor and a low four-sided roof. In addition to the personal weapons of the guards, there was also a cannon in the tower.

The guards used sound and smoke signals to warn the surrounding fortifications and the local population of Ottoman invasion.

During the renovation of the Church of St. Nicholas in the 16th century, the tower became a bell tower.

In the tower you can see replicas of weapons of that time, copies of maps and documents, as well as read about the history of the tower and Brod Moravice, as one of the oldest settlements in Gorski kotar.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

Historical and ethnographic collection of Mrkopalj

The historical and ethnographic collection of Mrkopalj was opened in 2017 and is located in the centre of Mrkopalj, on the first floor of the House of Culture. It contains more than 550 photographs from the history of the Mrkopalj region, and approximately 200 old objects - tools, books, clothes, kitchen and other aids, furniture, etc. The collection contains copies of the Charter by which Josip II declared Mrkopalj a privileged royal market town, a document on the founding of the Parish from 1771, a draft of the first ski jump “Pod Vrhin” from 1933 and other historical documents and several valuable books. You can also see handmade skis, poles, snowshoes, a rescue sled and various types of hand saws, and there is also an old folk costume from approximately 1910. With the help of an expert guide, visitors will learn interesting facts about the church feast Prošćenje, the Carolina road, the Peace Memorial, and interesting stories that are rarely found in literature. A special section consists of a collection of antique ties, and the surprise of the Collection is definitely a historical and rare example of a cinema projector from 1964.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

“Fruit growing in Moravice” Collection

The collection is located on the ground floor of the House of Culture in the town centre.

Brod Moravice is known for the abundance of fruit and for homemade brandy, primarily pear, but also juniper (pine) brandy.

Each house had a space where brandy was made, and it mainly comprised of a cellar (locally known as kevdr). In this part you can see old barrels, baskets, fruit presses, and the brandy cauldron.

You will definitely notice the smell of brandy.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice

“Our Railway” Collection

The display is located in the building of the former primary school in the centre of Brod Moravice.

On 23 October 1873 the Karlovac - Rijeka railway was opened. The construction of the railway began in 1869 and ended in 1873. At that time, it belonged to the Hungarian State Railways. It is 176.2 km long, with the highest point at 837 m above sea level.

The railway greatly influenced the development of Gorski kotar, and consequently Brod Moravice. For years, the railroad has been the source of income for the inhabitants of Brod Moravice. Many generations in the family were railroad workers. Some of them were enginemen, firemen, train drivers, conductors, road workers, switchmen, manoeuvring workers, brake workers, railway workers...
The first stop of passenger trains was at the road crossing - the Brod Moravice station in Donja Dobra.

In 1890, the Brod Moravice railway station was built. The entire railway was electrified in 1966. To mark the 140th anniversary of the Karlovac - Rijeka railway, in 2013 we opened the “Our Railway” collection, and erected a memorial plaque at the Šneler House in Donja Dobra as a memorial and a way to express gratitude to our railway workers.
In “Our Railway” collection you can see old uniforms, signals, railway lamps, various tools, telephones, watches, books, signal regulations, identification and other documents, tickets, and numerous photographs throughout the history of the railway of our region.

Opening hours
Cijena ulaznice
Gorski kotar logo jesen

Gorski kotar

Irresistable